Our Education Grants are intended to support any activity that enhances the mātauranga and academic prosperity and wellbeing of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui people. This includes secondary and tertiary level study, training and/or development. Registered members can apply for this grant during any of the quarterly Grant Rounds.
The second grant round for the current fiscal year (FY2023-24) closed on October 29, 2023. Keep an eye out for Round 3 opening in early 2024.
Are you eligible for this grant?
- To be eligible you must be a registered member of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui (and/or Te Ātiawa Manawhenua Ki Te Tau Ihu Trust).
- You must be either enrolled in a fulltime, fee-paying course of study at a tertiary institution or fulltime at secondary school.
How much can you apply for?
Individuals can apply for up to reimbursement of some or part costs associated with fees and expenses (books, stationary, clothing, course equipment).
Other things you need to know
- Tertiary and secondary school applications are considered separately.
- Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate a clear alignment to any established annual priorities of the Trust.
- Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate their involvement with iwi/marae, and their commitment to iwi development.
- Preference will also be shown to applicants who have an outstanding record of achievement, leadership or success to date.
- Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate how the grant will contribute to improving long-term prosperity and wellbeing of Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui and its people.
- In addition, priority will be given if you are a tertiary student nearing your final year of study toward a degree/diploma/certification and/or can demonstrate excellent academic achievement in prior years.
- Priority will also be given to secondary students in years 11, 12 or 13, or secondary students of any age who are subject to financial hardship or who are studying te reo Māori as a component of their course.
- Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui Trust has a set pool of funds to dispense each funding round, and grants are allocated as they are received. Once the fund is all allocated for that particular grant round, no further grants will be available until the next round.
- Grant monies must be used for the purpose applied for. Failure to do so could result in Te Ātiawa o Te Waka-a-Māui Trust requesting that Grant monies be returned.
- All decisions on funding are made by the Trust, are final, and will not be subject to correspondence entered into regarding decisions made.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your grant via email.
- The information you provide in your application will be held by the Trust and may be used for statistical purposes.
- Only one application per person per grant, per financial year can be made.
What you need to apply
You will need to provide:
- Evidence of acceptance to your chosen course of
- Receipts confirming payment of course fees or other evidence of your payment of fees (eg, StudyLink)
- Any other relevant receipts
Applications should be completed using the prescribed online form. If you need help with the application form, please give us a call on 0800 284 292 or email us at email@example.com
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.